– APA says response extremely slowThere are reports that the water level has risen over the past few days in Region 8 (Potaro/Siparuni) communities that have already been inundated by heavy rainfall and flash flooding of recent.This resident is trying to prevent his clothes from being destroyed by the flash flooding in Region 8The communities most-affected include Kaibarupai, Sand Hill, Chenapau and Waipa. The water is 15 feet high in some places, and approximately 10 houses have been washed away and more than 20 have been under water in Waipa up to press time. The health centre has also been under approximately four feet of water, and many farms have been completely destroyed. Residents are thus appealing for food and shelter.Kaibarupai is reportedly hardest hit, the flash-flooding having caused landslides which have lent to the overtopping of the Ireng River that has swept away residents’ belongings.Efforts to bring relief to those communities are continuing, according to Minister of State, Joseph Harmon. He disclosed on Thursday that, based on an initial assessment of the situation, more than 1000 residents have been affected by the flood waters.He said the disaster preparedness team at the Civil Defence Commission (CDC) has been activated, and the Guyana Defence Force (GDF) is also assisting with relief efforts.“We will do a proper assessment as to what the true situation is… They (CDC) have already started taking steps to get relief to those persons who are there,” he explained.Harmon said it is important to note also that some of these communities are located in valleys; and therefore, when it rains heavily, the villages would be flooded.Claiming there is not much that could be done at this time, Harmon said residents would most likely be unable to get additional relief until the water recedes.He said President David Granger has also been provided with an update of the situation, and has since instructed the relevant agencies to take every action to assist residents.However, Amerindian Peoples’ Association (APA) executive Laura George has expressed displeasure with the work being carried out by the CDC. George said, “We are concerned that the response is extremely slow, even as we recognise the need for an assessment which the CDC says it first needs to conduct.”The APA has also denounced what has been described as “a disrespectful response” from head of the CDC, Colonel Chabilall Ramsarup, who has allegedly been quoted as saying: “No one will die in one day.” The APA has described his comments as “disrespectful,” and has called on the CDC to act professionally and efficiently.
Rita Eichelberger is one of the organizers responsible for putting on the Taylor event. Her, and her family have been involved since the annual run started over 30 years ago.“We’ve been doing this since the inception of the Terry Fox Run, I think it’s a fantastic program and event, I think it’s really worthwhile,” she says. “I think all of us one way or another benefit from it. I really encourage people to participate.Eichelberger goes on to say that when she first got involved with the Terry Fox Run, it was because she was inspired by Terry’s story, and his efforts in his fight against cancer.- Advertisement -“I just liked the story, I was really in awe of this person, I thought he was a hero basically,” she admits. “At the time there was no one I knew that had cancer, but I just totally believed in what he was trying to do, and trying to achieve. Since then we did have family friends who’ve died of cancer, and some that went into remission.”She continues by saying one of the reasons she keeps on coming back to help put on the event every year is the advancements that have taken place as it relates to cancer research.“I do see that there’s been a lot of improvements since then when Terry first was diagnosed with cancer, we had about a 33 percent chance of living,” she explains. “And yet today it’s about 80 percent. There was some news recently about a woman that had the same kind of cancer he had in the knee, so instead of amputating the entire leg, they fixed the knee, so there’s been a lot of advancements if people don’t realize it.”Advertisement Those who were unable to attend the run, or help in raising funds for the event can still donate to the cause by clicking here. Yesterday’s event raised $1,351.05 in support of cancer research.
atpnick kyrgiostennisus open First Published: August 28, 2019, 10:39 PM IST Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox – subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what’s happening in the world around you – in real time. Nicholas Kyrgios called ATP a corrupt organisation right after his 6-3, 7-6(1), 6-4 win over American Steve Johnson in the first round of US Open on Wednesday but has now come out and clarified his comment, saying he chose the wrong words.Kyrgios, who is a polarising factor in tennis owing to his exceptional tennis skills but volatile behaviour, was issued a record $113,000 fine by the ATP for actions at the Cincinnati Masters. He smashed two racquets and used a profanity in describing an umpire as a “tool” after being assessed a time violation in a loss to Russia’s Karen Khachanov. He also called the umpire “rubbish”, “a disgrace” and “the worst ref in the game.” When asked in the press conference on Wednesday if the fines concerned him, he said, “Not at all. ATP is pretty corrupt anyway. I’m not frustrated at all.”In the first round of US Open, Kyrgios was at the best of his behaviour and produced some brilliant tennis to advance to the second round, in a quarter which has been left wide open by the loss of top seeds Dominic Thiem and Stefanos Tsitsipas.Kyrgios took to Twitter to put out a statement, where he sent he intended to say that ATP showed “double standards” and not that it was “corrupt”.”I would like to go on record to clarify my comment about ATP being corrupt, it was not the correct choice of words and my point and intention was to address what I see as double standards rather than corruption.I want to clarify a couple of things…. pic.twitter.com/wRCWcj3tJc— Nicholas Kyrgios (@NickKyrgios) August 28, 2019″I know my behaviour at times has been controversial and that has landed me in trouble, which at times is granted and valid but my issue is around others whether gaining the same, less or more media attention doing the same or similar behaviour and not being sanctioned.”That’s my issue and continues to be. To be clear I know I’m not perfect and do not pretend to be and I acknowledge I’ve deserved fines and sanctioning at times but I expect consistency and fairness with this across the board, to date that’s not happened”I’ve had huge support from Chris Kermode and I’ve given it in return, so I want to clarify my comments but stand by my beliefs and sentiments around double standards,” Kyrgios wrote.Meanwhile, The ATP is considering whether to punish Kyrgios for a “major offense” over his comment on the tour. A tour spokesman issued a statement on Wednesday saying that Gayle Bradshaw, the ATP’s executive vice president for rules and competition, would determine what to do about Kyrgios’ comments.The 2019 ATP Rule Book says a “major offense” may be punished by a fine of up to the amount of prize money won at a tournament and a suspension of up to a year.Kyrgios, who won has won ATP titles earlier this year at Acapulco and Washington, will next face French wildcard Antoine Hoang.